Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Appetizers

I personally don't know anyone that actually enjoys commercials. Now that there is DVR commercials are mainly a thing of the past. That is, unless you go see a movie. People make sure to get there early so they don't miss a single commercial. Hollywood as cleverly disguised these commercials and have called them "Trailers." I love movie trailers. It's the first look into that movie you heard about and kinda want to see. Now that you've seen the trailer, you either really want to see it, or now youre indifferent completely to the movie. I've gone to see so many movies I play "The Trailer Game" with anyone I go with. Starting at the beginning of each trailer, whoever can correctly name the movie first gets a point. Whoever has the most points once the movie starts, wins. What do they win? Nothing. That doesn't stop me from making sure I get every last point though. 

If you were to compare going to the movies like eating at a nice restaurant, the movie trailers would be the appetizers. You dont need to have the appetizers when you go eat, but you have a much better experience when you do order them.  Every week Michelle and I will tackle the new trailers that catch our eye. Drop a comment and let us know what you think of each one.


Monsters University (June 21)
Travis Tilton
Monsters Inc. has been, by far my favorite Pixar movie, ever. Every animated movie gets compared to Monsters Inc. and not one has taken the title away from MI. When I heard that there would be a sequal to Monsters 3 years ago I was elated to say the least. When I heard it was a prequel I was even more excited. I get to see how Mike and Sully met? I get to see them as teenagers!? Pixar is going to make Monsters University my new favorite animated film. Once the first trailer came out I thought it had legs. Seeing Mike as a disco ball was funny. Now that the full trailer is out, I'm very worried though. This seems like they put Mike and Sully in a script written for Jonah Hill. I don't see how this movie isn't going to be just like every other college movie out there. Please tell me I'm wrong Michelle. Tell me I'm missing something here.

Michelle Nugent
From this trailer I'm worried that Pixar is going to let me down. I was also excited when I first heard that there was going to be a sequel, but less excited when informed that it is in fact a prequel. One reason: Boo. I agree that this looks like it will just be like any other college film. Pixar has gotten rid of the part of the original that made it heart-warming and, in my opinion, gave us the funniest parts. I'm interested to see the full film, but I'm afraid that without our favorite little human it just won't be the same.

Would You Rather (Out now in limited release)
Michelle Nugent

First reaction: Wow, this looks really good.

I love Brittany Snow and just about every movie she is in. She is such a versatile actress and really gets into whatever character she is playing. And this time? Just how far will she go to save her brother's life?

This movie looks like another Saw movie with a twist. There is electrocution, blowing up body parts, and it looks like some other pretty sick things going on. I can't tell if I'm just curious to know what is going on or if I'm just crazy, but this trailer has me wanting more.

Travis Tilton
I'm glad you were paying attention to what was going on. My first reaction: Oh wow theres the girl from John Tucker Must Die. Second reaction: Oh theres the dude from My Name is Earl. Third: Theres that guy from Dollhouse, what has he been up to lately? Fourth: is that Sarah Tancredi's father? Yea he's the governor from the first season of Prison Break! It feels like all the actors went to the unemployment office and the producer of this movie was there waiting for them.

Edit: I realize that Brittany Snow is a legitimate actress. I was just trying to get my point across. That is all.

Big Ass Spider (March 8)
Travis Tilton
Well you gotta love when the director threatens you before the trailer even starts. Gotta love even more when you watch a trailer and think, "That can't be real." The best part, though, is when you see that little symbol with the four levels "SXSW" South by Southwest is one of the biggest film and music festivals in America. This movie will be there. The acting was bad, the graphics were worse, and lets not forget, its called BIG ASS SPIDER! (aka Mega Spider, of course) I give up, I'll go see it. There has to be a reason this was accepted by SXSW, I'll watch it... and i have a feeling I'll probably love it.

Michelle Nugent
Where are Mega Shark and Giant Octopus when you need them? This trailer has left me speechless. I may one day watch this movie and I doubt I will love it. Because really.. I'm the honest one here.

1D3D (August 30)

Michelle Nugent
How do you even review this? We just can't get enough of peeking into the lives of celebrities can we? And when I say "we" I don't include myself. I've never really understood these films of musicians lives. Back in my day, if you wanted to know EVERYTHING about a band you bought every magazine with them on the cover and read their bios. I don't want to dis One Direction, these kinds of films just aren't my thing.

Travis Tilton
But the 3D, multi-million dollar budgeted documentary of the artist(s)... im sorry "artists"... is this generations version of TigerBeat. Why spend 5 bucks for you and your friends can buy a magazine filled with all the "hot info of their celebrity crushes, when now, they can each spend $12.50 each to put on uncomfortable glasses to watch a semi 3D video that lasts and hour and twenty minutes long, so you can see what these guys do behind the scenes of their worldwide tour.(I'll go ahead and spoil it for you, they do dumb idiotic stuff like you and I would do.)

  I don't see how anyone over the age of 16 will enjoy this movie. This isn't going to win any sort of Oscar. But one thing I do guarantee, is that on the weekend this movie comes out it will be internationally the number 1 movie in America. Isn't that really all that matters? 1D3D will make an ungodly amount of money because as it shows in the trailer, 1D is world wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment